The Pico Automotive 4425 (PP919) is a 4-channel oscilloscope that works with your PC to measure and test virtually all of the electrical and electronic components and circuits in any modern vehicle, and powerful enough for the next generation of vehicles with new technologies such as CAN FD. Also known as PicoScope (sometimes a labscope) the 4425 turns your laptop or desktop PC into a powerful diagnostic tool, showing the changing electrical signals inside wires. Also available as part of award-winning Automotive Diagnostics Kits that include sensors and leads, these combinations contain everything you need – just add a PC. With four channels you can view all four cylinders at once, for instance.
With the Pico Automotive 4225 PicoScope you can measure:
- Ignition (primary and secondary)
- Injectors and fuel pumps
- Starter and charging circuits
- Batteries, alternators and starter motors
- Lambda, airflow, ABS and MAP sensors
- Electronic throttle control
- CAN bus, LIN bus and FlexRay
If you are wondering "Scan tool or a scope?", the answer is that you need both. A scan tool can often point you in the right direction of a fault, but too often an inexperienced technician then replaces several parts before the problem is solved.
Oscilloscopes are used:
- To eliminate guesswork and test individual components before they are replaced. This avoids "parts darts" where more and more parts are replaced until the fault goes away.
- To find intermittent wiring and connector faults.
- When a vehicle has a problem but no code has been set or when multiple / misleading codes have been set
- As the best way to find charging and starting problems.
- To find problems with actuators such as motors and injectors (monitored by the ECU).
- To identify mechanical problems such as compression and slipped / incorrectly fitted timing belts.
For the technician, oscilloscopes lead to faster, more efficient diagnostics and a better understanding of how vehicle systems work. For the workshop using a PicoScope encourages a "fix it right" culture by reducing the number of parts changed on guesswork. The net result is improved customer satisfaction, increased repeat business and increased profits.
PicoScope 6 is the most advanced automotive oscilloscope software (supplied free) offers features such as auto setup, tutorials and guided tests that quickly get new users up to speed. Advanced features such as math channels, waveform buffers, advanced triggers and reference waveforms ensure the experienced user will not run out of power. The modern user interface is easy to use. There are no old-fashioned knobs and dials. We leave the space free for what matters: your waveforms displayed in crisp, clear high resolution.
The Waveform Library enables you to share and back up your waveforms online and also search a global database of waveforms uploaded by PicoScope users from around the world.
The powerful search options let you find “known good” waveforms from vehicles identical to the one you are working on. Not sure if you have a slipped timing belt? There are hundreds of cam vs crank waveforms to compare against. Not sure if the cranking current is too high? Download a waveform to compare.
With a simple connection to the battery, the PicoDiagnostics software plus the 4225 quickly performs the following tests on a vehicle:
- Compression test. Crank the engine to quickly display the relative compression of each cylinder.
- Cylinder balance / misfire detect. Compares the power output of each cylinder and highlights misfires.
- Battery test. Displays CCA, measures state of charge and voltage drop during starting. Gives an overall Pass or Fail.
- Starter motor test. Checks starter coil resistance and voltage drop across cables.
- Alternator test. Measures charging voltage and current. Checks for excessive diode ripple.
4-Channel Starter Kit
The 4–Channel Starter Kit contains the same four–channel oscilloscope featured in the standard and advanced kits. To keep costs down it is supplied with a basic set of leads and clips to allow you to perform many common tasks including testing most sensors, actuators, relative compression and cylinder balance tests.
Over time accessories such as current clamps and ignition probes can be added to expand its uses and convert into a standard or advanced kit.
4-Channel Standard Kit
The most popular kit gives you the ability to measure and record up to four signals simultaneously. It comes complete with a variety of accessories including leads, probes, clips and current clamps to allow virtually all the components on modern vehicles to be tested.
4-Channel Diesel Kit
This kit is based on the 4–Channel Standard Kit but has been adapted for use with diesel engines. The kit includes a current clamp with a DC range of 0–2000 amps — ideal for measuring the high currents drawn by the starter motors of commercial vehicles.
4-Channel Advanced Kit
The 4–Channel Advanced Kit is the ultimate in vehicle diagnostics. It builds on the 4–Channel Standard Kit by including our most popular optional accessories such as universal break out leads, fuse extension leads and COP ignition pickup.
- 4 channels
- Up to 400 MS/s real–time sample rate
- 20 MHz bandwidth
- 250,000,000 sample memory
- ±200 V input range
- Floating inputs
- ConnectDetect™ for reliable connections
- No external power supply required
- Protected against overloads and short circuits
- CAN bus and FlexRay compatible
- Use with any vehicle
- Easy to use
- Includes PicoScope Automotive software
- Free software updates
- 24 month warranty for the scope module, 12 month warranty for accessories
- Processor: 2 GHz
- Memory: 2 GB
- Operating System: 32-bit or 64-bit editions of Windows 10, 8, 7 (not Windows RT), Vista and XP (SP3)
- Ports: USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 compatible)
- Free Disk Space: 2 GB
What's In The Box:
- (1) PicoScope 4225 4-Channel Scope
- (1) USB 3.0 cable
- (1) User manuals
- (1) Software CD-ROM